In the late 18th century the Scottish Graham family were merchants with interests in both Portugal and India, “among the merchant princes of Great Britain” according to a contemporary historian. In 1820 the brothers William and John Graham established the firm W&J Graham’s in Porto with the intention of specialising in the production of the finest Port wines. Over the course of the 19th century their Ports achieved an extraordinary reputation for consistent quality, and in 1890 the firm made two substantial investments toensure the continued success and quality of their wines: the purchase of Quinta dos Malvedos in the heart of the Douro winegrowing region, and the building of the magnificent Lodge on a hill overlooking Porto and Gaia, where the wines are aged in perfect conditions.
In 1882 Andrew James Symington came to Porto to join the firm of W & J Graham’s, though on the general trading side. After a few years he left the firm and became involved with the Port trade through other ventures, notably his association with Warre & Co. In 1970 AJS’s grandsons purchased W & J Graham’s, ensuring the future of this renowned Port producer.