New Robert Parker scores for Le Clos du Caillou including 99+ for the 2010 Reserve Chateauneuf!
Le Clos du Caillou, a 53 hectare wine estate with Côtes-du-Rhône and Châteauneuf-du-Pape appellations, is located in Courthézon in the South of France.
The property came in possession of the Pouizin family in 1956. Until 1996 the property was run by Claude Pouizin, who until 1993 sold most of his yield to negociants. In 1996 his daughter Sylvie and son-in-law Jean-Denis Vacherons took charge and the quality of the wines from property rapidly rose.
Robert Parker has recently completed his tasting of the magnificent 2010 Southern Rhones now that they are in bottle. His scores for Le Clos du Caillou have been increased significantly!
He originally described the Chateaneuf-du-Pape Reserve as "A candidate for wine of the vintage". Parker has scored the finished wine 99+ - it does not come much better than that!
The 2010 Chateauneuf-du-Pape Quartz and Safres have been scored 96 and 94 Points respectively!
We have small quantities of these three outstanding 2010 Chateauneuf-du-Papes in stock. Be quick!
2010 Chateauneuf-du-Pape Reserve
In stock $195.00 (14 bottles available)
The Châteauneuf-du-Pape Reserve is a wine made only in the best vintages. The vineyard is composed of 60% Grenache (planted in 1930 in La Guigasse) and 20% Mourvèdre
and 20% Syrah (planted in 1939 in Les Bedines). The soil, composed of sand, gives the wine freshness and finesse. The grapes are harvested late to obtain the perfect maturity of Mourvèdre.
Robert Parker: The virtually perfect (probably Domaine du Caillou's greatest wine since their 2001 example) 2010 Chateauneuf du Pape Reserve Le Clos du Caillou is a blend of 60% Grenache and 40% Mourvedre aged completely in 600-liter demi-muids, of which some are new. A dense purple color is accompanied by a stunning nose of lead pencil shavings, barbecue smoke, black currant jam, raspberries and blueberries. Full-bodied and exceptionally pure, powerful and elegant, this stunning wine needs 2-4 years of cellaring and should keep for 20-25. 99+ Points
2010 Chateauneuf-du-Pape Les Quartz
In Stock $125.00 (20 bottles available)
This wine comes from parcels of land in the lieu-dit "The Cassanets" which are composed of pebbles and sandy subsoil. The Grenache, which comprises 85% of the blend, was planted between 1956 and 1958. A parcel of Syrah, in the lieu-dit "The Bédines", is on a soil composed of sand makes up the remaining 15%.
Robert Parker: The 2010 Chateauneuf du Pape Les Quartz, which is aged in both foudre and truncated oak vats, comes from two lieux-dits, Les Cassanets for the Grenache and Les Bedines for the Syrah. It reveals crushed raspberry and kirsch notes as well as a chalky stone-like character, but less of the Provencal roasted herb, lavender, and licorice notes than its siblings. Drink this dense, full-bodied, impressive 2010 over the next 15-20 years. 96 Points
All Le Clos du Caillou wines may be viewed and purchased on line by clicking here. You may also order by telephone (03) 9326 5737 or email email@example.com